Monday, 13 May 2019

Down at heel - Torre Saracena to Leuca (the "heel" of Italy)


 Last night soon after we'd put the tent up it rained with a fury that I've hardly ever known and so it continued all night, only easing by about 5.00. In fact the sun came out and we were able rather surprisingly to pack a dry tent.
Overnight I'd come to the conclusion that I had to find a dentist. My tooth had split right down to the root and part of it was wobbling as it was completely detached from the rest.
The campsite owner made me an appointment for 10.30 with the nearest dentist, about 4km away, so off I cycled leaving Ben to pack up the tent.
I had the offending bit of tooth pulled out and a large temporary filling put over the lot. I will have to be very careful how and what I eat - very unfortunate in this land of pizza....
Camping Malapezza




Arriving in Otranto
 We managed to get away before 12.00 and enjoyed lunch (pasta for me!) in the interesting town of Otranto.


The coast became more and more spectacular -and undulating - as we headed south. We passed lots of these Torre - watchtowers - which are a feature of the area.






The coast towards the final headland is very wild and rugged, absolutely spectacular! The rain held off all day too and the headwind wasn't too strong and surprisingly not always absolutely in our faces!

Torre Saracena to Leuca - 68km, 700m climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment