Friday, 24 May 2019

Fossacesia to Serramonacesca

We set off early-ish for us from the strangely deserted, but good, off-season campsite on the coast and headed uphill into the Abruzzo mountains. We were crossing the lie of the land and as a result had to constantly climb two or three hundred metres,  then descend again to our starting height and climb yet again. Our destination - Kokopelli Camping near Serramonacesca in the Majella National Park. I'd noticed this campsite in Cool Camping when researching our trip 


Heading for the mountains

What a relief!!

Arrival at Kokopelli


The climbing was truly gruelling.  Ben  seems to be able to keep going on any gradient, but I find that when it is 12% or more I prefer to get off and walk, using the bike as a Zimmer frame!
Kokopelli certainly lives up to its reputation and reviews - more tomorrow about that. The great news is that my passport has arrived here, so I can leave that particular worry behind.
We've been on the road for two weeks now and are quite tired. We intend to take a couple of rest days here to recharge our batteries before heading north again.
There's absolute silence from man-made noise here - just the sound of wolves howling and- closer- some very noisy frogs.

Fossacesia to Serramonacesca - 68km, 1300m climb

2 comments:

  1. Hello Helen,

    Taking a tea break from work and catching up on your adventures. So pleased you have been reunited with your passport! Love Charlie Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Charlie - it's certainly a great relief. I'm going to take a lot of care of it from now on!

    ReplyDelete