Sunday, 19 May 2019

Bisceglie to Manfredonia - A mixed day


This has been a day of good things and of problematic things.
The worst thing is that I have left my passport at last night's campsite. We arrived late and tired and the lady in charge took it to photocopy. She forgot to hand it back and I forgot to ask for it. I only noticed its absence when checking into this campsite nearly 80km away....
I'm very relieved that it is there and that I haven't lost it, but it has created quite a problem about how to retrieve it. My phone call this evening ascertained that they have it, but we had a huge language barrier. I'll call again tomorrow morning when the lady with good english will be there.
So, as for the riding. It began well, in the sunshine. We followed the coast through the lovely seaside towns of Bisceglie and Trani and continued towards Barletta. At this point my gear cable snapped, so we looked for a shady (the sun was very hot) bench on the sea front so that Ben - fortunately expert at this type of repair - could get to work. Just when everything was apart the sun vanished and the heavens opened!

Trani Harbour

Trani Cathedral
 With the repair successfully completed and everything dried out we continued the second half of our ride. Now this should have been a dead flat easy ride on a causeway between some lagoons and the sea. Unfortunately the wind which had been so helpful yesterday decided to blow directly in our faces across this flat landscape. We struggled to cycle at 10km/h and it was exhausting. We were pleased to get to this campsite just south of Manfredonia with a fine view towards the Gargagno Peninsula which we hope to start exploring tomorrow -  but of course I may be heading back to Bisceglie by public transport (complicated I think) to collect my passport....

View towards the Gargagno taken a few metres from our tent. 

Bisceglie to  Manfredonia - 78km, 180m climb

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - hope you get your passport back OK tomorrow. The towns look v interesting but sorry about the weather (better here I think - sorry). Was watching the Italian Open final (tennis) and - yes - it did look cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you Ruth. Yes, we can't believe the weather here. Nor it seems do the locals!

    ReplyDelete