I spent much of the morning sorting out the passport problem. There were various options:-
1) Going to get it. Public transport didn't really exist, so it would have to be a taxi.
2) Getting them to send it in a taxi.
3) Getting it posted somewhere.
I've gone for option 3. I realised that in about five days time we plan to stay for a couple of nights in a small campsite in the Majella National Park run by a British couple. I'd already exchanged a few emails with them and they sound really nice, so I rang them to see if they'd be happy to receive it. They suggested going for recorded delivery and kindly sent me a message in Italian to forward to the other campsite. Hopefully this will all work out and I won't be regretting the decision. The first campsite has sent me a copy of the passport, so at least I have id. I've decided not to worry about it for the next few days now.
This plan enabled us to do today's planned ride - a spectacular route over the Gargagno Peninsula from sea level to sea level, but rising to 800m in between. This was our first big climb of the trip and we found it quite hard, though a nice gradient. The reward was the stunning views!
The road seemed deserted. I should think that no more than ten vehicles passed us all day.
The morning (what was left of it after our late start) was warm and sunny, but by about 4pm some black clouds began to form and sure enough it began to rain. Not only rain but a lot of (thankfully) distant thunder.
It didn't last long - just enough for us to get soaked and therefore get rather cold on the long descent.
Manfredonia to Vieste - 72km, 1600m ascent.


Enjoying reading about your travels. I hope you are reunited with your passport in a few days time :)
ReplyDeleteLove Charlie Xx
Hi Charlie
ReplyDeleteYes I'm a bit concerned about the passport of course, but hopefully it will be ok. Still struggling with the awful weather here in Southern Italy, hope it's better in the UK.
Helen xx